Honey cake used to be served during religious holiday celebrations in Russia. It’s become a common dessert that is especially popular with children.
1/2c. brown sugar
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. honey
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. sliced almonds (or other nuts)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
2. With a fork, beat eggs thoroughly in a small bowl. Add sugar and stir well.
3. Pour flour into a large mixing bowl. Add egg mixture and baking soda and stir well.
4. Add honey and mix for 5 minutes. Stir in raisins.
5. Pour dough into pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with nuts.
6. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until toothpick stuck in the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool on wire rack. Serve cake with whipped cream or jam.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 50 to 60 minutes
Makes 9 to 12 pieces