tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
fat garlic cloves, finely grated or minced
tablespoon fennel seeds, plus more for finishing
thyme sprigs, leaves separated chopped
small red, yellow or white onion, diced
cup diced celery
cup diced carrots
teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
pound lean ground pork (or chicken, turkey, or plant-based meat)
cup bread crumbs
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
(14- to 16-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed but still cold
egg, beaten, for egg wash
- Heat oven to 375 degrees and line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in 1 teaspoon fennel seeds and chopped thyme, and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
- Add onion and celery and cook until onions soften, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and a large pinch of salt and cook until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Once vegetables have cooled, add ground pork, bread crumbs, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Using your hands, mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Roll the chilled puff pastry dough to about 1/8-inch thick. Cut pastry into four equal rectangles. In the center of each pastry, dollop a quarter of the pork mixture, then form it into a long sausage running lengthwise on the pastry strip. Lightly brush one long edge of the pastry with egg wash. Starting with the side without the egg wash, firmly fold the pastry over the meat filling to form long rolls, pinching to seal. Place on prepared baking sheet, seam-sides down.
- Lightly brush the top of each roll with egg wash and sprinkle with fennel seeds. Bake until sausage rolls are golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.