Unsalted butter, for greasing the pan and foil
teaspoon kosher salt
large baguette (10 to 12 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
ounces marinated artichoke hearts, drained (2 cups) and rinsed, if needed to decrease acidity
scallions, trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
packed cup parsley leaves, plus more for serving
large garlic clove, finely grated or minced
teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce, plus more for serving
ounces grated Cheddar (2 cups)
Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Generously butter a 2-quart shallow casserole or gratin dish. Butter one side of a piece of foil large enough to cover the dish during baking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Gently toss in baguette cubes, and let the mixture sit while you prepare the remaining ingredients, stirring it occasionally.
- In a food processor, pulse together the artichokes, scallions, parsley, garlic, hot sauce and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt until finely chopped. (Alternatively, you can chop everything finely by hand.)
- Scoop half the soaked bread into the casserole dish and arrange in an even layer. Top with half the artichoke mixture and half the cheese. Repeat layers of bread, artichokes and cheese. Cover with aluminum foil, buttered-side down.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil. Continue to bake until golden at the edges and springy in the middle, about 15 minutes. (If you’d like, broil on low for 1 to 2 minutes for a more browned top.) Let cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Squeeze a lemon wedge over the top and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with more hot sauce on the side.