medium sweet potato (10 ounces/285 grams), peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
cup/100 grams granulated sugar
tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
teaspoon fine sea salt
cup/120 milliliters unsweetened full-fat coconut milk, well shaken
teaspoon dark rum or vanilla extract
large egg, at room temperature
cup/45 grams unsweetened coconut flakes
- Start the filling: Prepare a steamer. Steam the sweet potato over medium-high heat until falling-apart tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the sweet potato to a food processor and purée until smooth. Alternatively, smash and stir with a heavy whisk until smooth.
- Meanwhile, make the crust: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cups of a mini-muffin tin with paper liners. Mix the graham cracker crumbs with the butter, sugar, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a bowl until evenly combined.
- Divide mixture evenly among the mini-muffin liners (about 1 packed teaspoon per cup). Using a wine cork or your fingertips, firmly press the crumbs into an even layer. Bake until brown at the edges, 6 to 8 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, finish the filling: Smash the sugar, butter, pumpkin pie spice and salt until well combined, then stir in 3/4 cup sweet potato, the coconut milk and the rum until smooth. Stir in the egg until just incorporated.
- When the crusts are done, divide the filling among the hot crusts (about 1 tablespoon per cup). Sprinkle with the coconut flakes. Return to the oven and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees.
- Bake until the coconut is golden brown and the pies are set, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool in the pans on a wire rack until room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator. Chill until cold, at least 2 hours.