A traditional French custom is to have a mid-afternoon snack of very strong coffee and a pastry or bread. Brioches are yeast breads rich in eggs and butter. They make delicious snacks and are generally eaten warm with unsalted butter and jam. Brioches are also available in American bakeries that sell French breads and pastries.
The recipe on below will make a snack that is something like the French brioche. If you are not able to shop at a French bakery, you can bake this very special treat.
1 package refrigerated crescent rolls
6 tbsp. semisweet chocolate chips
powdered sugar (enough to sprinkle lightly on each pastry)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Remove the dough according to directions on package. Smooth out perforations (dotted lines) in dough with your fingers and cut dough into 6 rectangles.
3. In the center of each rectangle, place 1 tbsp. of chocolate chips. Bring each of the 4 corners of the rectangle to the middle and seal to make an envelope.
4. Place pastries on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden.
5. Remove and place pastries on a cooling rack. Sprinkle tops lightly with powdered sugar.
6. Serve while pastries are slightly warm.
Preparation time: 30 minutes