teaspoons distilled white vinegar
Kosher salt and black pepper
tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon turbinado sugar
large Persian cucumbers, sliced 1/8-inch-thick
cup low-sodium soy sauce
tablespoons chopped scallions
teaspoons minced garlic
teaspoons roasted sesame oil
pounds ground beef (preferably chuck or sirloin)
slices American cheese
Butter lettuce, sliced onions and sliced tomatoes, for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add cucumbers and toss to coat, then let stand at room temperature.
- Heat broiler to high and set oven rack set 6 inches from heat. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, scallions, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Mix well, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the marinade to a small bowl and stir in mayonnaise and ½ teaspoon sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine beef and 3 tablespoons of the scallion marinade. Gently mix to incorporate. Form into 8 thin patties (each about 4 ½ inches wide) and arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush tops with half of the remaining marinade. Flip and brush with the remaining marinade. Broil until golden and caramelized on top, about 4 minutes.
- Arrange cheese on 4 patties, top with the remaining patties and let stand until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- Pour off all the liquid from the cucumbers and stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons sesame oil.
- Smear the cut side of the buns with some of the seasoned mayonnaise. Arrange bottom buns on plates. Layer with lettuce, onion, tomato, double-stack burgers, pickles and top bun. Serve with extra pickles on the side.