For a vegetarian version of this tangy salad, leave out the bacon and fry the onion in 2 tbsp. vegetable oil.
4 to 5 medium boiling potatoes (1 1/2 lb.), cooked with skin on (see directions for cooking potatoes on page 38)
6 slices bacon
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
4 tbsp. cider vinegar
3 tbsp. water
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
1. Peel potatoes and slice thinly.
2. Fry bacon slowly in skillet until brown and crisp, then drain on paper towels. Leave bacon fat in skillet. Crumble bacon when cool.
3. Fry onion in bacon fat, stirring frequently, until transparent and starting to brown.
4. Stir in vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, for a minute or so.
5. Pour hot vinegar mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle in crumbled bacon. With large spoon, stir salad carefully until potato slices are coated with vinegar sauce.
6. Serve hot or at room temperature. Garnish with parsley.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Serves 4 to 5