These crunchy hard cookies are perfect for dunking in coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Biscotti means “twice cooked”—the secret of their crunch!
2 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 large eggs
1 c. walnuts, chopped
3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a large baking sheet.
2. In a bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until well combined. Stir in flour mixture to form stiff dough. Stir in walnuts and chocolate chips.
4. On prepared baking sheet, and with floured hands, form dough into two slightly flattened logs, each 12 inches long and 2 inches wide.
5. Bake logs 35 minutes, or until slightly firm to the touch. Cool on baking sheet 15 minutes.
6. Transfer logs to a cutting board. Cut logs diagonally into 3/4-inch slices.
7. Arrange biscotti, cut sides down, on baking sheet and bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool biscotti on a rack. They will keep in air-tight containers for a week.
Preparation time: 90 minutes
Makes 30 biscotti