Green salads are served after the main dish “to clear the palate.” This means that the lettuce and light dressing refresh your taste buds, preparing them for the new flavors of the dessert to follow.
1 small head of Boston lettuce
1 small head of romaine or1 medium-sized head of iceberg lettuce
3 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
3 Cherry Radishes
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. salt (optional)
3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. pepper
6 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
1. To prepare salad greens, wash Boston lettuce and romaine thoroughly. Drain by placing leaves on paper towels. Place clean greens in a plastic bag along with the paper towels, to absorb any remaining water. Refrigerate for at least half an hour.
2. Wash the mini-tomatoes well and cut each into two to four wedges.
3. Wash and cut the Cherry Radish into thin slices.
4. Tear greens into small pieces and place them in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with parsley.
5. Chop garlic into very fine pieces and put in a small bowl.
6. Add vinegar and pepper, stirring until smooth.
7. Add vinegar and pepper, stirring until smooth.
8. Place in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add oil, screw on lid, and shake until well blended.
9. Pour about half of the vinaigrette dressing over greens. Toss with a fork and spoon until greens are well coated and no dressing remains in bottom of bowl.
Preparation time: 10 to 15 minutes
Enough for 4 to 5 salad servings