In Korea, simmered beef short ribs are prepared for festive occasions, particularly birthdays and New Year’s celebrations. This winter dish is popular with cooks because it is so easy to make.
2 1/2 lb. lean beef short ribs
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. soy sauce
2 tsp. sesame oil
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
2 onions, peeled and chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
3 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds (see recipe on page 36)
3 green onions, finely chopped
10 fresh mushrooms cut in half
1. Separate beef ribs and remove visible fat. Place in a large saucepan.
2. Add water to ribs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender. If you wish, you can prepare the ribs to this point ahead of time. Cover and chill until needed. When ready to serve, remove the fat that has come to the top and return meat to saucepan.
3. Add soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, black pepper, garlic, onions, carrots, and 2 1/2 tsp. of the sesame seeds to the ribs and stir well. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
4. Add green onions and mushrooms and cook 1 to 2 minutes more.
5. Garnish with remaining sesame seeds.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours