cups/255 grams flour
teaspoon baking soda
cups/300 grams sugar
cup/175 milliliters buttermilk
cup/120 milliliters oil
(8 ounce/225 grams) can crushed pineapple
cups/250 grams finely grated raw carrots (there should not be any liquid)
cup/120 grams coarsely chopped nuts
cup/85 grams unsweetened flaked coconut
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. Beat the eggs with the buttermilk, oil and vanilla, and add to the dry ingredients all at once. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in the pineapple, grated carrot, nuts and coconut, and pour into a greased and floured 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Bake 45 minutes or until the center springs back when lightly touched.
- About 15 minutes before the cake is done, make the glaze. Combine all the ingredients except the vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring, over medium heat and boil gently five minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Take the cake out of the oven and immediately prick it all over with a fork and slowly pour the buttermilk glaze over the top. Cool in pan. Cut into slices.