Mushrooms on Toast. A delicious vegetarian snack-or for any time of the day! Enjoy our Mushrooms on Toast.
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms
2 tbsp. butter*
salt and pepper
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. milk
4 slices buttered toast
1. Wash mushrooms and drain on paper towel. Cut into quarters.
2. Melt butter in a frying pan. Add mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Sauté over medium-low heat until soft.
3. While mushrooms are cooking, mix cornstarch with a little of the milk in a small bowl to make a smooth, thin paste. Then add the rest of the milk and stir until mixture is free of lumps.
4. Slowly add milk mixture to mushrooms in the pan, stirring constantly. Cook over low heat for 1 minute.
5. Pour mixture over toast and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
*To reduce the fat, use margarine instead of butter, and use skim milk.