ounces lager or pilsner beer (2 cans or bottles)
medium onions, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
uncooked bratwurst sausages
bratwurst rolls or hoagie rolls, split
Spicy brown or yellow mustard, for serving
Pickles and ketchup, for serving (optional)
- Light a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to high.
- In a medium pot over high heat, bring beer and half the onions to a simmer (save remaining onions for serving). Add bratwurst to the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer until they are just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer sausages to the grill, and grill until they’re well browned on all sides, 2 to 5 minutes, turning often.
- If you like, while the brats are grilling, let the beer and onions boil over high heat until the onions are very soft, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and reserve onions for serving.
- Grill the rolls, cut-side down, until golden, about 1 minute. Serve the brats sandwiched in the rolls and topped with onions (either raw or beer-braised, or both), along with any condiments you like.