(14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu, sliced crosswise into eight equal slices (about 1/2-inch thick)
tablespoons safflower or canola oil, plus more for greasing grates
tablespoons minced garlic
tablespoon minced fresh ginger
cup low-sodium soy sauce
tablespoons turbinado sugar
teaspoon black pepper
tablespoons chopped scallions
- Arrange sliced tofu in a single layer on a paper towel-lined plate. Press top with more paper towels to remove excess water. Arrange tofu in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, or any shallow dish that can hold the tofu in one layer.
- In a small saucepan, combine oil, garlic and ginger over medium; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened and fragrant, 2 minutes. Add soy sauce, sugar, pepper and 1/4 cup water, and cook, stirring to dissolve the sugar, about 2 minutes.
- Pour hot marinade over tofu. Gently turn tofu slices to evenly coat, then cover dish tightly with plastic wrap to seal in heat. Refrigerate for 6 hours (or up to 8 hours), flipping tofu slices halfway through.
- Heat grill to medium and grease grates well (or heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium and lightly grease). Grill tofu over direct heat until golden and caramelized, about 3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, transfer marinade to a small saucepan over medium and warm through, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in scallions.
- Transfer tofu to a serving plate and spoon over the sauce. Serve warm.