Collard greens are a common ingredient in Thai cooking and are usually used in this salad. In the United States, spinach is often easier to find and will make a fine substitute. This party dish originated in the northeastern region of Thailand and is usually very spicy.
1 whole skinless chicken breast (about 10 oz.)
1 1/2 tbsp. fish sauce
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. lime or lemon juice
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 c. chopped fresh spinach
1/2 c. chopped roasted peanuts
1/2 c. peeled and shredded carrots
1. Rinse chicken breast under cool running water. Place in a large saucepan with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender.
2. Remove chicken from pan with tongs. Place on a plate and cool for 15 minutes. When chicken is cool, remove meat from bones and shred into small pieces. Place shredded chicken in a large bowl.
3. In a small bowl, mix fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, and cayenne. Mix until sugar dissolves.
4. Pour juice mixture over chicken and mix well.
5. Place spinach on a serving plate. Spoon chicken over spinach and top with peanuts and carrots. Serve at room temperature.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes (plus 15 minutes cooling time)