Serve these little cookies as an afternoon snack with a pot of tea.What a treat!
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. vegetable shortening
2 eggs, beaten
1 tbsp. almond extract
1/4 c. blanched unsalted almonds
1. Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
2. Cut shortening into dry ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter.
3. Add beaten eggs and almond extract. Stir with a spoon until well mixed.
4. Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
5. Shape dough into balls the size of a large cherry.
6. Put on greased cookie sheets. Press an almond into the center of each cookie to slightly flatten.
7. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Preparation time: 20 to 25 minutes
Baking time: 15 to 25 minutes
Makes about 4 dozen cookies