cup sliced fresh or frozen okra
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
cup fine yellow cornmeal
cup chilled unsalted butter (1/2 stick), cut into chunks
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 1/4 cups water to a boil over medium-high.
- When water reaches a rolling boil, add okra and 2 teaspoons salt. Cook over medium-high until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Slowly and carefully, pour half the cornmeal into the water while whisking to prevent lumps. It will get very thick very quickly.
- Once the mixture is smooth, add the remaining cornmeal and the butter, whisking vigorously to combine.
- When smooth, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. If you’d like it a little thinner, whisk additional water into the mixture. Serve hot.