Part of the fun of making fortune cookies is creating your own personal fortunes for each one. These fortunes can be anything from predictions of the future to old sayings. Be creative!
1 c. margarine, softened
1/2 c. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1. Combine margarine, sugar, egg, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Add flour and baking powder. Stir everything together to form a ball of dough.
2. Lightly flour a wooden board or flat surface. With a rolling pin, roll half of dough very thin. Use a circle-shaped cookie cutter or the top of a large glass (about 2inches wide) to cut out circles in dough. (Cut dough into other shapes, if you wish.)
3. Put a fortune in each circle, off to one side.* Fold the circle in half and then in half again. Pinch edges to seal.
4. Preheat the oven to 425oF.
5. Reroll leftover scraps of dough and make cookies from them. Then roll and make cookies from other half of dough.
6. Bake cookies for about 10 minutes or until they are lightly browned. Serve when cool.
Preparation time: 30 to 45 minutes
Baking time: 10 minutes
Makes 25 cookies
*To make the fortunes for your cookies, cut white paper into 25 strips about 2 inches long and 3/4 inches wide and write a for tune on each one.