Nachos are crisp, tasty snacks made with fried corn tortillas.
2 7-inch corn tortillas cut into 6 to 8 triangles
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 c. grated cheddar cheese
1. Heat oil in a frying pan. Drop in tortilla sections and fry until golden brown.
2. Using tongs, remove sections and drain on a paper towel. Let cool.
3. Preheat the oven to 250°F.
4. When tortillas are cool, place them on a cookie sheet and sprinkle with grated cheese.
5. Bake until cheese is melted (about 5 to 10 minutes).
Preparation time: 20 to 25 minutes
Serves 6 to 8
If you would like homemade salsa for your tacos, try this simple one made of fresh tomatoes and green chiles. Called salsa cruda (raw sauce), this spicy mixture can usually be found on all
Mexican tables. It makes a good addition to almost any Mexican dish.
6 medium-sized tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 c. finely chopped jalapeno or serrano chiles
1/3 c. finely chopped onion
1 tsp. salt
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to blend.
Preparation time: 10 minutes plus overnight refrigeration
Makes about 2 cups