This is such an incredible way to eat cauliflower. I expected this to have a much stronger cheese taste, but I was surprised to find it was really rather subtle, and just enhanced the cauliflower rather than truly flavoring it. I like to taste the veggies.
1 head fresh cauliflower*
4 tbsp. butter or margarine
1 small green pepper, cleaned out and sliced
1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. milk
1 lb. mild pimento cheese, sliced
1. Cut core out of cauliflower and place its flower-shaped pieces in a large kettle of water. Bring water to a boil and cook cauliflower about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.
2. Melt butter in a skillet and sautpepper slices and mushrooms.
3. Preheat the oven to 350.
4. Remove the skillet from heat and sprinkle in flour a little at a time, stirring briskly.
5. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly. Return to heat and stir until mixture thickens.
6. Place cauliflower in a casserole dish. Lay cheese slices over cauliflower and pour creamed green pepper and mushrooms over the top. Bake 20 minutes.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 to 40 minutes
*When choosing fresh cauliflower, look for heads that are firm and very white, with crisp, green leaves. Avoid heads with brown spots or yellowish, wilted leaves. To store cauliflower for a couple of days, just cover the whole head with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator.