Making fried rice is an excellent way to use odds and ends from the refrigerator. Fried rice is very economical, and it can be a complete and nourishing meal by itself.
4 c. cooked long-grain rice, cold
3 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 eggs, beaten (optional)
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1. Use a fork to loosen and separate grains of cooked rice.
2. Place a large skillet or wok over high heat. Add 2 tbsp. oil and heat thoroughly.
3. Fry onion to a light golden brown. Remove to a plate.
4. Add remaining 1 tbsp. oil to the skillet. Add eggs, if desired, and stir-fry until done.
5. Add rice to pan. Stir in soy sauce. Add onion, mix thoroughly, and continue heating until completely hot.
Preparation time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 to 20 minutes
*To dress up your fried rice, try adding cooked vegetables such as green beans, sugar peas, chopped cabbage, mushrooms, or bamboo shoots. You may also use small pieces of leftover beef, chicken, or pork-or try tofu instead.
Fried rice is a delicious meal that is quick and easy to prepare.