This party dish is originally from Malaysia.The southern Thai add more curry, making the satay spicier. In northern Thailand, it is served with sticky rice and stir-fried vegetables.
2 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. fish sauce
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 lb. pork loin, thinly sliced and cut into 1/2 x 2-inch strips
1 1/2 c. coconut milk
4 tbsp. chunky peanut butter
2 tsp. fish sauce
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the first 4 ingredients and mix well. Cover pork with fish sauce marinade and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
2. In a deep saucepan, mix remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly until well mixed. Place this coconut-peanut butter sauce in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate.
3. Soak 8- or 10-inch bamboo skewers in water for half an hour so they won’t catch fire in the broiler.
4. Preheat oven to broil.
5. Thread pork onto skewers accordion style. When oven is preheated, broil pork for 8 to 10 minutes, or until done, turning often so all sides are cooked evenly.
6. Serve hot with bowls of the coconut-peanut butter sauce for dipping.
Preparation time: 20 to 30 minutes (plus 4 hours for marinating)
Cooking time: 10 to 15 minutes
* Satay is delicious served with a cucumber salad or with cucumber sauce .
Satay (bottom), cucumber salad (top left), and rice (top right) make a tasty meal.