This versatile meat allows you to explore the many dishes Italy has to offer. These delicious Italian pork recipes have been enjoyed by my family and friends for years.
4 pork chops, about 1 inch thick
salt and pepper to taste
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tbsp. olive or vegetable oil
1/2 c. canned tomato sauce
1 green pepper, cleaned out and cut into thin strips
1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced, or 1 3-oz. can mushroom pieces, drained
3/4 tsp. oregano
1/5 c. tomato juice
4 oz. hot Italian sausage (optional)
Spicy sausage can add a bit of zip to Italian-style pork chops.
1. Trim excess fat from pork chops and wash chops under cold water.
2. Mix salt, pepper, and garlic in a bowl. Rub on pork chops.
3. Heat oil in large skillet and brown chops on both sides.
4. Add tomato sauce, green pepper, mushrooms, oregano, and tomato juice to the skillet. Cover and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes. (If you add sausage, brown it in a separate pan and drain. Add to the skillet during the last 10 minutes of cooking.)
5. Spoon sauce over chops and serve.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes