In Thailand, pieces of meat, poultry, fish, and seafood are often grilled or broiled and served with a spicy dipping sauce.
3 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. pepper
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 2 1/2- to 3-lb.chicken, cut into quarters
1. Mix first 5 ingredients. Pour mixture over chicken in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
2. With the help of an adult, place chicken on grill over hot coals with skin side up. Cook 10 minutes. Turn every 10 minutes until done, about 40 minutes in all. Chicken is done when juices run clear after flesh is pierced with a fork. If you prefer, broil chicken in preheated broiler 40 to 45 minutes, turning often so that all sides are cooked evenly. To bake chicken, place chicken in a baking dish in a 400°F oven. Bake 30 to 45 minutes.
3. Serve chicken with nam pla prig (see recipe on below ) or with sweet and sour sauce (see recipe on below).
Preparation time: 10 minutes (plus 4 hours for marinating)
Cooking time: 40 to 45 minutes
*When checking chicken for doneness, it’s a good idea to cut it open gently to make sure the meat is white (not pink) all the way through.
Nam Pla Prig
This sauce combines the salty, sweet, and sour tastes that Thai people love. It can be found on every table and is used both as a dip and in place of salt. The Thai sprinkle it on most dishes. Once you discover how good it is, you may want to make a double recipe.
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
4 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. fresh lime or lemon juice, or 4 tbsp. white vinegar
4 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tbsp. water
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve sugar. (If sauce is too salty or too strong, add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it is the desired strength.)
2. Serve at room temperature in individual bowls. (Nam pla prig will keep for up to two weeks refrigerated in a tightly covered glass container.)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Makes about 1/2 cup
Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. water
1 tbsp. ketchup
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1. In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Stir constantly over high heat until sugar dissolves.
2. Serve at room temperature.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Makes 1 1/2 cups